Professional Voice Care
• Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep and relaxation
• Drinking plenty of water and avoiding products that contribute to dehydration, such as caffeine, alcohol, decongestants, and antihistamines.
• Avoid spicy and acidic foods, mint, chocolate, milk products, alcohol, and carbonated beverages that can increase stomach acid and cause GERD.
• Do not smoke cigarettes and avoid second hand smoke
• Talk to your doctor before using aspirin, NSAIDS (e.g., ibuprofen and naproxen) or blood thinning medication, as they can cause vocal cord bleeding and hoarseness
• Use proper breathing techniques
• Avoid forceful throat clearing or coughing.
Copyright © - iHealthSpot Interactive - www.iHealthSpot.com
This information is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It should not be used in place of an individual consultation or examination or replace the advice of your health care professional and should not be relied upon to determine diagnosis or course of treatment.
The iHealthSpot patient education library was written collaboratively by the iHealthSpot editorial team which includes Senior Medical Authors Dr. Mary Car-Blanchard, OTD/OTR/L and Valerie K. Clark, and the following editorial advisors: Steve Meadows, MD, Ernie F. Soto, DDS, Ronald J. Glatzer, MD, Jonathan Rosenberg, MD, Christopher M. Nolte, MD, David Applebaum, MD, Jonathan M. Tarrash, MD, and Paula Soto, RN/BSN. This content complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information. The library commenced development on September 1, 2005 with the latest update/addition on April 13th, 2016. For information on iHealthSpot’s other services including medical website design, visit www.iHealthSpot.com.